Friday, October 14, 2011

Bad music night: La Gasolina

My previous examples of bad music were mostly things I have a soft spot for.  It is very difficult to find examples of really bad music.  Here is an exception: Daddy Yankee- La Gasolina.  I really hate this.  I hate it beyond hate itself. The female members of my family insist on playing it in the car.  I tell them it is forbidden and that the patriarch should have authority in the family, but they do not listen.  They do not understand how very awful it is. 

The words are bad - the whole song appears to be the words 'I love petrol' uttered in Spanish, first by a guy, and then by the chicks in the backing band.  But the words are immaterial: the whole point of this series was to find music that is without any possibility of salvation.  Imagine this music without the words, as it would be if there existed a Karaoke backing version (hopefully not).  Exactly.  It is unembarrassed by any modulation, any harmonic shift, any progression to different tonal environment.  It is simply horrible beyond words. 

The badness of this is fundamentally similar to the badness of 'modern jazz', about which I have been meaning to talk for a while. Perhaps more next week.

Have a good weekend, everyone.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, very bad music, and very bad video too. But not as bad as this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD-SABImqtI

Edward Ockham said...

>>But not as bad as this:

I think we have already agreed you are a connoisseur, Blind Dog. Where do you find this stuff?

But I thought the video went rather well with it, and rather detracted from the badness of the sound. What do you think?

I looked at your blog, by the way. Very good.

Anonymous said...

> Where do you find this stuff?

I spend half of the day on youtube to distract me from doing real work. And, of course, I have some inclination for nonsense stuff.

> But I thought the video went rather
> well with it, and rather detracted
> from the badness of the sound. What
> do you think?

This guy with the gun is walking through underwear at 0:06... Fits perfectly to the ludicrous sound.

> I looked at your blog, by
> the way. Very good.

Thank you. Do you understand German?

Edward Ockham said...

>> Do you understand German?

Well I learned it years ago at school and used it occasionally to understand things like Die Verneinung ist im selben Sinne eine Beschreibung wie der Elementarsatz selbst.

It's very rusty now.

Edward Ockham said...

>> And, of course, I have some inclination for nonsense stuff.

This is good.